John Muir, Thoreau, You? If you love the plants, animals, insects, rocks, and water of California, you’ll love being a California Naturalist. Yolo Basin Foundation has partnered with UC Extension to offer a California Naturalist course open to all lovers of nature, regardless of skill level, experience, and education.
California is an immensely diverse place that would take many lifetimes to cover in its entirety. Therefore, the California Naturalist course is designed to provide an overview of the ten (10) bioregions with more focused coverage of specific topics.
Topics that will be covered include:
- California’s Natural Resources and the Role of Naturalists
- Geology, Climate and Soils
- Forest, Woodland and Range Resources and Management
- Energy and Global Environmental Issues
- Interpretation, Collaboration & Citizen Science
Students will be required to purchase the textbook covering the basic material for the course. It is available directly through UC Press as well as other booksellers.
Nevers, G. D., Edelman, D. S., & Merenlender, A. M. (2013). The California naturalist handbook.
Berkeley: University of California Press.
The Yolo Basin Foundation’s California Naturalist course is a field based course with a classroom component. Five (5) all day field trips will be held on Saturdays. Six (6) Wednesday night classes will be held from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm at the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area Headquarters. Course participants will complete a total of 40+ hours of coursework over 6 weeks.
|Wednesday, October 11th 6:00-8:30 pm||Saturday, October 14th|
|Wednesday, October 18th 6:00-8:30 pm||Saturday, October 21st|
|Wednesday, October 25th 6:00-8:30 pm||Saturday, October 28th|
|Wednesday, November 1st 6:00-8:30 pm||Saturday, November 4th|
|Wednesday, November 8th 6:00-8:30 pm||Saturday, November 11th|
|Wednesday, November 15th 6:00-8:30 pm|
Registration and Cost:
Registration is open from April 24th to September 20th 2017. Click here!
- $375 For Yolo Basin Foundation Members before August 1st , 2017, $400 after.
- $450 For non-members before August 1st , 2017, $475 after.
Pre-registration is required. No refunds will be given for any reason unless Yolo Basin Foundation cancels the class.
Up to four (4) continuing education credits are available from the University of California for an additional $80.
A limited number of scholarships are available, contact us for more details.
- A certified California Naturalist must complete all of the course components.
- Attend all class sessions and field trips.
- Complete a capstone project approved by the instructor.
- Log at least 1 observation in iNaturalist.
- Participate in the class citizen science project.
- Complete 8 hours of volunteer work and commit to volunteering at least 40 hours per year in environmental stewardship, education, program support, or citizen science related projects.
- Create a field notebook.
- Go outside and observe!
About California Naturalist
For more information about the California Naturalist program visit: http://calnat.ucanr.edu/About_the_program/
For more information, contact John McDermott at email@example.com