Educators bringing their K-12 students to Discover the Flyway must attend a one time workshop before their field trip. This includes educators that plan on attending a field trip with another educator who has previously attended a workshop.
New teachers may make a reservation request for a Discover the Flyway field trip before attending a Teacher Workshop but must attend a workshop before their scheduled field trip.
Educators interested in learning how to teach students about wetlands, wildlife, and human history in the Central Valley are also welcome to attend.
The Teacher Workshop includes:
- An introduction to the field trip schedule, activity station choices, and hands-on participation.
- A guided tour in the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area.
- Access to Wild about Wetlands Resource Kits for in-class teaching about wetlands ecosystems.
- A continental breakfast and lunch.
- A teacher handbook.
What teachers who have attended say about their experience:
- “I was able to see the different learning activities and fit them to my class’s needs.”
(2nd grade teacher, Sacramento)
- “I felt that it was well organized and presented. My time was well spent!”
(3rd grade teacher, Davis)
- “Very useful! The workshop was well done in that I was able to experience first hand all the wonderful activities that my students would be experiencing. The GL standards tied to the activities of the trip and organized in a nice binder made planning that much easier.”
(4th grade teacher, West Sacramento)