Discover the Flyway from Home – Resources for Teachers, Parents & Students
Patwin Ways of Life
Take a look at this basket. It is made from the tule plant. It is used to gather a type of food from the wetlands. See if you can figure out which food this basket would carry!
Think about these questions to figure it out:
1. What shape is this basket?
2. What light weight, small food item could fit into a tapered basket bottom and not be crushed?
3. What fruit is native to California wetlands?
Photo by YBF Staff
1. This basket is cone shaped or a funnel.
2. A small fruit or vegetable would fit down into the tapered part of the basket and not be crushed due to the funnel shape.
3. Blackberries grow naturally in wetlands and would fit in this basket without being crushed.