Discover the Flyway from Home – Resources for Teachers, Parents & Students
Bird I.D. 102
Wow! What a beautiful bird! Let’s make some observations about this bird, and see if we can identify it!
We know it visits the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, a wetland habitat.
Answer the questions below, and use this resource to identify and learn more about this amazing bird!
- What shape is this bird?
- What is the color of the bird’s body?
- What do you notice about this bird’s wing coloration?
- What shape is the beak?
- What colors are the beak and the feet?
- Describe the legs.
- What color do you see where the beak meets the face?
- Can you identify this bird?
Photo by Mike Reinhart
- This bird best matches the shape of herons.
- The bird’s body is black with some reddish iridescence.
- The wings appear very colorful with iridescence.
- The beak is long, thick, and curved.
- The beak is gray, and the feet are gray and pink.
- The legs are long for wading in water and are gray to black.
- There is a fine white line or slightly pinkish line bordering the face at the back of the beak.
- This is a white-faced ibis!